Homeless News

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
  • May 17, 2021 10:45 AM
    Message # 10516783
    Anonymous

I thought I'd start linking to homeless news I find interesting and related to this topic. 

• May 17, 2021 10:46 AM
    Reply # 10516786 on 10516783
    Anonymous

I've been recording homeless news on my personal blog here:
    https://www.sagelewis.com/category/homelessness/

So you can see what has been archived over there. 

Last modified: May 17, 2021 10:47 AM | Anonymous
  • May 17, 2021 10:57 AM
    Reply # 10516816 on 10516783
    Anonymous

It happened at 9 a.m. May 12 at La Jolla Village Drive and Torrey Pines Road. Police say officers contacted the man about urinating in public.

By ALEX RIGGINS 

SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE

MAY 13, 2021 9:50 PM PT

San Diego police officers repeatedly punched a man in the face, head and leg after tackling him to the ground in La Jolla, according to a witness who recorded the incident and posted it on Instagram.

Nicole Bansal said it happened around 9 a.m. May 12 at La Jolla Village Drive and Torrey Pines Road. She recognized the man being pummeled by officers as someone she believes to be homeless who frequents the area.

“It’s so excessive and unnecessary,” Bansal said of what she witnessed and recorded on her cellphone.

San Diego Police Department spokesman Lt. Shawn Takeuchi wrote in a statement that the incident began over the 34-year-old man ignoring officers who contacted him about urinating in public. He said department officials are aware of the cellphone video and that the internal affairs unit is investigating the incident, including reviewing body-worn camera footage.

• May 17, 2021 10:58 AM
    Reply # 10516819 on 10516783
    Anonymous

With a Record Number of Homeless in North Texas, Black People Remain Overrepresented

JACOB VAUGHN MAY 14, 2021 4:00AM

The count found a total of 4,570 homeless individuals in Dallas and Collin counties, a record.EXPAND

The count found a total of 4,570 homeless individuals in Dallas and Collin counties, a record.

Jacob Vaughn

Black people in Dallas County are still severely overrepresented among the homeless. An annual census of the homeless in Dallas and Collin counties tallied a record number of people living on the streets, with Black people making up more than half of the houseless residents despite composing only a quarter of Dallas County's population.

The findings of the census were presented during the 2021 State of Homelessness Address on Tuesday.

“We cannot walk away from today without recognizing and naming the fact that systemic racism is reflected in homelessness. Black men are disproportionately represented," Peter Brodsky, the new chair of Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance, said at the address. The alliance is the lead agency for the homeless response system in Dallas and Collin counties.

• May 17, 2021 11:00 AM
    Reply # 10516822 on 10516783
    Anonymous

Homeless man takes on St. Louis County, wins $150,000 settlement over panhandling laws

NEWS

by: Nexstar Media Wire

Posted: May 13, 2021 / 11:10 AM CDT Updated: May 13, 2021 / 11:10 AM 

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. – A homeless man takes on St. Louis County and wins big after a federal judge ruled the county’s laws against asking drivers for money are unconstitutional. After winning a $150,000 judgment, Robert Fernandez is back at the I-55/270/Lindbergh interchange asking drivers for money. He has yet to receive the financial judgment, however.

Fernandez’s attorneys say, as with the others working this same area with him, the goal is to simply get through the day. They can do so now without fear of arrest.

“It is legal to beg for money, just as it’s legal to ask for money if you’re running for office, to support your church group, or the Elks Lodge,” said attorney Hugh Eastwood. “The ordinance and the police were targeting an unpopular speaker for his speech and standing there with a sign that said, ‘God Bless, Homeless, Anything Helps.’”

In his ruling, Judge Stephen Limbaugh noted Fernandez has been cited 64 times and arrested four times since 2017 for violating St. Louis County laws requiring a solicitor’s license, restricting panhandling in traffic, and banning vagrancy. Limbaugh said all three laws violate 1st and 14th amendment rights to free speech and due process.

“You can’t arrest somebody for being poor but that’s what happened to Robert Fernandez,” attorney Bevis Schock said.

FOX 2 spoke with Fernandez on Wednesday while he was out at the interchange. He said this was very much a matter of free speech, otherwise he had no comment on the issue. Another man who was working out here with Fernandez told us he figured police would just find another reason to “run him in.”

Limbaugh’s ruling says while St. Louis County can enact traffic safety laws, those laws can’t single out asking people for money as opposed to other forms of road-side expression, such as “protesting, signature petitions, campaigning, or evangelizing.”

• May 17, 2021 11:01 AM
    Reply # 10516823 on 10516783
    Anonymous

Law enforcement clears out homeless from Vista encampment

by Steve PuterskiMay 14, 20218746

VISTA — A group of homeless individuals was cleared out of an encampment on May 14 at the on-ramp of Emerald Drive and state Route 78.

The latest sweep was at least the second this month after a homeless encampment at the site was cleared last week.

On Friday, California Highway Patrol, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department and Caltrans personnel were on-site to remove the homeless.

San Diego County Sheriff’s Deputy Jordan Botz, who also helps with homeless outreach, said all the individuals removed were offered housing through the City of Vista’s contracts with several shelters and housing partners.

Botz said the homeless are notified 72 hours in advance.

Botz said since the pandemic began last year more resources for law enforcement’s homeless outreach efforts have been afforded. However, once the officials in San Diego transitioned the convention center to house immigrants and their children, the homeless were pushed out.

Botz said it’s a difficult problem and he “doesn’t have the solution,” but said his unit is doing all it can within the law to offer housing, tools and resources to the homeless.

• May 17, 2021 11:02 AM
    Reply # 10516825 on 10516783
    Anonymous

Texas city votes to end approval for camping in public to combat homeless problem

SOUTHWEST

Michael Shure

Posted: MAY 13, 2021 / 05:25 PM CDT Updated: MAY 13, 2021 / 05:28 PM CDT

AUSTIN, Texas (NewsNation Now) — Fifty-seven percent of voters in Austin, Texas, approved a ban on camping in public as a remedy for the growing homelessness problem earlier this month.

“Austin leans politically to the left for sure, but it’s a large city with populations on the outskirts that don’t vote that way, said Matt Mollica, executive director of Ending Community Homeless Coalition Austin. “I think the visual nature of homelessness is something that a lot of people want to see addressed.”

Get the 5 things to know to start your day every morning, click here to subscribe to the [Your Morning] newsletter from NewsNation. 

For Austin’s business community, the visual factor was a significant concern.

“It also has had a negative impact on business, and that’s particularly on small businesses and businesses associated with our visitor industry,” said Downtown Austin Alliance vice president Bill Brice.

Homeless camping area in Austin, Texas

Austin counted nearly 20 million visitors in 2018.

In 2019, the Austin City Council lifted a public camping ban, now canceled by this month’s vote.

“I think that people from either party, proven by the vote outcome, supported Proposition B to a high degree,” stated Brice.

CDC announces fully vaccinated people can largely ditch masks indoors 

Solutions to the crisis have always been elusive, but homeless advocates in Austin said that the proposition puts the cart before the horse.

“We don’t have a place for people to move to. But also, they’re not going to be allowed to stay in the places where they are,” said Sunrise Homeless Navigation Center director Mark Hildelink.

Sunrise Homeless Navigation Center

While Hildelink thinks this is an impractical path, the “Save Austin Now” coalition that brought the vote calls it the only avenue.

“It’s finally gotten the city council’s attention because there was no other recourse,” said Save Austin Now’s co-founder Cleo Petericek.

She added the city has the resources to provide campgrounds.

“Austin voters are saying, ‘Hey, find places for them now. It is inhumane. Let’s get on the path toward finding shelters,'” said Petericek.

Part of the reality is that some of those who line up at sunrise for food and health services aren’t even against Proposition B.

Hundreds of Seattle police officers quit over past year, critics say more reform necessary 

“Honestly, I’m all for it because of the way that they’ve kind of taken advantage of things. And it kind of messes it up for the people who really do need things and do need the help,” said Brianna.

“Actually, I think it’s sort of a good thing, but I don’t think they’re ready for it because I don’t think you got enough places to put homeless people,” said Albert.

That remains the biggest concern among those who tend to Austin’s homeless.

“I think a lot of people when they went to vote on May 1 believes that they were actually voting against homelessness; I think they’re gonna be really disappointed to realize that when a month from now rolls around, there’s still gonna be homelessness,” said Hildelink.

• May 17, 2021 11:03 AM
    Reply # 10516826 on 10516783
    Anonymous

City releases more details on proposed sanctioned homeless campsites

By Carissa Lehmkuhl

Published 2 days ago

Homeless Crisis

The resolution directs the city manager to provide information and analysis on the possibility of sanctioned encampments for the homeless in Austin.

AUSTIN, Texas - The City of Austin has released more specifics regarding its plan to create sanctioned homeless campsites. 

This comes after Prop B was approved by voters and went into effect on Thursday. Phase one of implementation is currently underway, which focuses on awareness and verbal warnings.

Sponsored Links

Let go of your 30-Year Mortgage if you want to pay off your house faster. (Refinance your way.)Quicken Loans

More details on how officials plan to enforce Austin's homeless camping ban

Wednesday marks day two of Austin’s homeless camping ban, as we hear from city officials about exactly how enforcement will work in the weeks and months ahead. FOX 7 Austin's John Krinjak finds that not everyone agrees with the gradual approach the city is taking.

On Friday, the City released a memo detailing what each sanctioned site should include and what the estimated costs will be. 

According to the memo, the City is currently reviewing more than 70 city-owned properties as possible site locations, with the goal of having at least one in each district. The memo did not list any specific locations.

DOWNLOAD THE FOX 7 AUSTIN NEWS APP

Each site is expected to have electricity and water, restrooms, lighting, hygiene stations and 24/7 security. "Services offered on-site should address basic needs, while maintaining a housing focus, prioritizing connection to permanent housing resources," according to the memo.

City to enact four-phase plan to reinstate camping ban

The City of Austin voted loud and clear in favor of Prop B to reinstate the camping ban. Austin leaders introduced a 4-phase plan to do just that.

The estimated cost for one site holding 50 people is more than $1.3 million. An 80-person site would cost more than $1.8 million.

"It is not inexpensive and I share the sentiment that others have expressed that it’s far better to invest in permanent housing solutions," said Councilmember Kathie Tovo, who pushed for information on proposed sites to be released by Friday. "That being said, we need to move forward in a direction that allows people to move from the areas where they are currently camping into safer spaces."

Next steps as Austin's homeless camping ban officially back in effect

It is now illegal to camp in most areas of Austin, sit or lie downtown or near the University of Texas, or panhandle at night.

Last modified: May 17, 2021 12:22 PM | Anonymous
  • May 17, 2021 11:10 AM
    Reply # 10516848 on 10516783
    Anonymous

San Francisco Homeless Camp to Be Removed Monday, Advocates Say Residents Have Right to Stay

May 17, 2021 at 6:33 am

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — People who have been living in their cars and in tents in a state-owned parking lot under Interstate 80 in San Francisco are slated to be removed on Monday but their advocates are arguing they have the right to stay under state law.

The Coalition on Homelessness the city’s moratorium on evictions during the pandemic applies only to residential spaces; the law wasn’t designed to deal with this particular situation.

“I can’t afford a (house)… but I have a place,” Greg Smith, a long- term resident at the Merlin Street encampment, said in a statement. “I’ve always had mobile homes before. I’ve rented here for about five years until they declared bankruptcy and gave the place up.”

Smith said he’d rather live in his vehicle than in a single-room-occupancy hotel, where some of the spaces are shared.

“I like to have my own place, come in when I want, have my stuff,” he said.

Ora Prochovnick, director of litigation and policy at Eviction Defense Collaborative, said there’s a good legal case for the residents to stay.

“California law clearly provides that it is illegal to remove a tenant without first providing proper written notice and a court process,” Prochovnick said in a statement. “The situations of many of the people who have been residing for a substantial period of time at the property on Merlin Street raise strong evidence of a legal tenancy, and any doubts must be resolved in favor of the residents’ due process rights.”

As of right now, the California Highway Patrol is scheduled to clear the encampment on Monday. The encampment is located at 450 Fifth St. In San Francisco.

• May 17, 2021 11:11 AM
    Reply # 10516849 on 10516783
    Anonymous

Honolulu police arrest 1 on suspicion of dousing homeless man with gasoline, setting him on fire

by: Web Staff

Posted: May 14, 2021 / 09:01 PM HST Updated: May 14, 2021 / 09:07 PM HST

HONOLULU (KHON2) — Honolulu police announced they made an arrest in connection to the case that involves a homeless man being doused with gasoline before he was set on fire in Downtown Honolulu on Wednesday, May 12.

According to police, a 45-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of second-degree attempted murder on Friday, May 14.

Sources say the suspect used a torch to light the man on fire and then ran off and jumped in a nearby car, which drove off. A witness says the victim got up to try and put the flames out and got some help from people nearby.

According to EMS, the 39-year-old victim was taken to a hospital with second- and third-degree burns.

Charges are pending against the 45-year-old suspect, according to Honolulu police.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 

Email Us:

us@houselessmovement.org

Address:

15 Broad St.
Akron, Oh 44305